Life is like a funfair ride

The other day someone remarked on how exciting my life seemed to be. I told them that I hadn't ever planned on excitement and am happy with peace and quiet, but somehow, something always happens. It got me thinking.

Life is a bit like rides at the funfair.
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net Simon Howden

Mine has been like a roller-coaster with big ups and downs and lots of breathless moments.

But some people seem to be on a carousel with ups and downs certainly, but nothing terrifying.

Others are in bumper cars, alternately bashing other people or being bashed.

Many people are in ghost train rides, being scared witless as they go along - I think that people in war situations must feel like this.

There are people who are on the big wheel, experiencing slow climbs to great heights and equally slow dips down.

And it's as if people are on one or maybe two of the rides during their lifetime. As if they bought tickets before they were born, for a specific ride.

And with all of the rides, we end up back in the place we started.

From birth to death, life is a fun ride, scary at times, with the odd breakdown, or even catastrophe, but we go back home after it's over.

Looking at life like this somehow makes it feel less scary to me as it makes me remember that it's supposed to be fun, even when it's scary, and I know I will go back home at the end of the ride.

What do you think? What sort of ride did you buy a life ticket for? Please let me know by leaving a comment. I'd love to hear what your life's been like.

No comments: